Magnitude 8.0 quake near Gizo, Solomon Islands
Last updated: 2014-10-13 (285) 21:28:58 UTC
- Location map
- Initial source parameters
- 3 components [closest Anza station]
- Vertical components [all Anza stations]
- Waveforms recorded at Santa Margarita Ecological Reserve
The Anza group at the University of California San Diego operates a broadband seismograph network consisting of 17 three component broadband seismograph stations centered near Anza, California (see map).
On Sunday April 1 2007 at 1:39 PM (PDT) we recorded an earthquake (preliminary Mw 8.0) located near Gizo. A tsunami warning has been issued for the region. See the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center website's latest warning. See also the West Coast & Alaska Tsunami Warning Center website's latest warning.
If you have felt this quake, the USGS would like to know. Please add your comments to the USGS page "Did you feel it?".
View the most recent map of local events near San Diego or a slightly wider regional view of events recorded by ANZA, or a map of events recorded by ANZA from around the globe.
Initial source parameters for this tremor are indicated below. The epicentral distance (i.e. the distance separating the epicenter and the closest station in the recording network) for Anza is 10017 km (90.00 degrees).
This map shows the mainshock as a red star. Associated aftershocks are orange stars. Anza network stations are yellow triangles. Gray lines are major rivers.
|Latitude||Longitude||Origin time (UTC)||Origin time (PDT)||Depth (km)||Mw||Author|
|-8.4810||156.9780||04/01/07 (091) 20:39.56||04/01/07 (091) 1:39 PM||10||8.0||QED_weekly|
* The location and magnitude determined for this event are preliminary and are subject to change upon further review of seismic data.
You may also view a plot showing
Of local interest:
We operate a broadband station at the Santa Margarita Ecological Reserve. At 13:52 (PDT) station SMER recorded the P wave from this event. Here is a view of that event as picked by our analyst. A red P indicates a P wave arrival, a red S indicates an S wave arrival.
Visit the IRIS website with additional links to seismic data for this event.
Proximity to population centers
- 41 km (25 miles) SSE (163°) of Gizo, Solomon Islands
- 202 km (125 miles) S (170°) of Chirovanga, Solomon Islands
- 233 km (145 miles) W (259°) of Dadali, Solomon Islands
- 348 km (216 miles) WNW (289°) of Honiara, Solomon Islands
- 1077 km (670 miles) E (85°) of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
- USGS page for this event
- Guardian Unlimited: "Deadly Tsunami Strikes Western Solomons"
- San Diego Union Tribune: "Tsunami devastates western Solomon Islands"
- BBC News: "Tsunami strikes Solomon Islands"
- International Herald Tribune: "Undersea quake sends waves across Solomons"
- CNN News: "Quake brings WWII PT boat up from ocean floor"
Search the Internet
To search the internet for more information about this event, click on the button below:
URL: http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/special_events/2007/091/a/index.php [Last updated: 2014-10-13 (286) 21:28:58 UTC]