Frequently Asked Questions
Read Frank Vernon's interactive 1989 PhD thesis online
NB: Dr. Vernon is the Principal Investigator of the Broadband Seismic Data Collection Center
- Visit our online glossary
- Take our interactive online earthquake quiz!
- What do the different channel codes on your waveform plots mean?
- What do the different phase codes on your waveform plots mean?
San Diego specific information
Specific User Questions
- 2007-09-17: Why are there so many earthquakes in Southern Ca. in the area of the Cochella (sic) Valley? Is is because of the number of instruments in the area, or are there really that many more quakes in that area as opposed to other areas in Ca.?
- 2007-09-10: Questions following numerous earthquakes offshore San Diego and near Lake Elsinore in Southern California, September 2007
- 2006-10-16: Is there any reason to believe that there is a connection between the underground nuclear testing in Korea and the earthquake in Hawaii?
- 2005-10-13: Do you use some kind of heavy microwave equipment on your Toro Peak station?
- 2005-05-25: I am seeking info regarding ground motion vs distance for locations in Carlsbad and Mira Mesa
- 2005-05-11: What does the negative (-0.34ML) mean?
- 2005-04-06: It is 9:40 pm on Wed. April 6. I just heard on the radio that So. Cal. near the LA area and San Diego area experienced some jolts. To make it interesting, the east coast, No. East area just experienced a shaker as well. Any relation betwen the two?
Concerns for residents
- Traffic noise vs. earthquakes
- Discussion of the September 2004 magnitude 6.0 Parkfield earthquake
- USGS Response to the 2004 Keilis-Borok California Earthquake Prediction
- Summary Of Recent Events In The Region
- Am I at risk living in San Diego county?
- What is the 'shadow zone' and why is it important in seismic studies?
- What is the geological time scale?
- Faults off the Southern California Coast
- Faults in northern Baja California, Mexico
- Major faults in southern California [USA] and northern Baja California (Mexico)
- [PDF] Recent publication on the major faults around San Diego county by Lisa Grant & Tom Rockwell
- Where and when were the largest earthquakes in the U.S.A.?
- What do we use to measure earthquakes?
- When an earthquake occurs, what does it look like on our instruments?
- How are seismic waves recorded and processed?
Virtual Network Computing
Using Antelope software
- What is it?
- Is there a mailgroup?
- How do I setup a demo?
- What is the orbmonrtd?
- I can't get orbmonrtd to work.
- How do I retrieve online earthquake bulletins?
- Is there an Antelope tool for making synchronization (sync) files for interacting with the IRIS-DMC?
- How do I retrieve waveforms?
- Where can I get more information?
- Station Parameter [stapar] file setup
- Network configurations [to be updated]
- Compatibility issues [to be updated]
- Can I get a list of the [KNET, ANZA, bbroadband array] origins?
- What is a 'finger quake' bulletin [and do you have an archive available]?
Local User Information
URL: http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/faq/index.php [Last updated: 2010-11-23 (327) 23:01:41 UTC]