Magnitude 7.60 quake near Colima, Mexico
Last updated: 2014-10-13 21:28:53 UTC
- Location map
- Initial source parameters
- 3 components [closest Anza station]
- Vertical components [all Anza stations]
- CSS 3.0 miniSEED data for Anza
- Waveforms recorded at Mt. Soledad
The Anza group at the University of California San Diego operates a broadband seismograph network consisting of 14 (+ 2) three component broadband seismograph stations centered near Anza, California (see map).
On Tuesday, January 21nd, 2003 at 18:06 (PST) we recorded a quake (preliminary ml 7.60) located near Colima Mexico.
If you felt the quake, the USGS would like to know. Please add to the USGS "Did you feel it?" page.
View the most recent map of local events near San Diego or a slightly wider regional view of events recoded by ANZA, or a map of events recoded by ANZA from around the globe.
Initial source parameters for the recent event and aftershocks are shown below. The epicentral distance (distance separating the epicenter and the closest station in the recording network) for Anza is 18.389 (2044 km).
This map shows the mainshock (red star) and any associated aftershocks (orange stars). Anza network stations are yellow triangles.
|Latitude||Longitude||Origin time (UTC)||Origin time (PST)||Depth||ml (Mw)||Author|
|18.807||-103.886||1/22/03 (022) 02:06:35.89||18:06 (PST)||33.36 km||7.60*
* The location and magnitude determined for this event are preliminary and are subject to change upon further review of seismic data.
You may also view a plot showing:
Download data:css3.0 miniSEED data for Anza
Of local interest:
We operate a broadband station on Mt. Soledad. At 18:06 (PST) station SOL recorded the P wave from this event. Here is a view of that event as picked by our analyst. The red P indicates a P wave arrival, the red S indicates an S wave arrival.
Visit the IRIS website with additional links to seismic data for this event.
- USGS page for this event
- ABC News: "Deadly Quake"
- MSNBC: "At least 21 killed in Mexican quake"
- CNN: "Deadly quake shakes Mexico"
- BBC News: "Powerful quake hits Mexico"
- Reuters: "Powerful Earthquake Rocks Mexico; 23 Dead"
- NewsNet5: "At Least 23 Killed In Mexico's Deadly Earthquake"
- SFGate; "21 die in 7.8 Mexico quake; Rural coastal state of Colima hit worst"
- ABC Local: "Deadly Earthquake Rattles Mexico"
To search the internet for more information about this event, click on the button below:
Learn more about the Anza group (including who works here, other networks, nuclear tests in China/India/Pakistan).
Learn more about the ANZA network (includes more station information, research, etc).
URL: http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/special_events/2003/022/a/index.php [Last updated: 2014-10-13 21:28:53 UTC]