Magnitude 7.6 quake off the west coast of the South Island, New Zealand
Last updated: 2014-10-13 (285) 21:28:55 UTC
- Location map
- Initial source parameters
- 3 components [closest Anza station]
- Vertical components [all Anza stations]
- Waveforms recorded at Mt. Soledad
The Anza group at the University of California San Diego operates a broadband seismograph network consisting of 17 three component broadband seismograph stations centered near Anza, California (see map).
On Wednesday July 15 2009 at 2:22 AM (PDT) we recorded an earthquake (preliminary Mw 7.6) located off the west coast of the South Island, New Zealand.
If you have felt this quake, the USGS would like to know. Please add your comments to the USGS page "Did you feel it?".
View the most recent map of local events near San Diego or a slightly wider regional view of events recorded by ANZA, or a map of events recorded by ANZA from around the globe.
Initial source parameters for this tremor are indicated below. The epicentral distance (i.e. the distance separating the epicenter and the closest station in the recording network) for Anza is 11519 km (103.47 degrees).
This map shows the mainshock as a red star. Associated aftershocks are orange stars. Anza network stations are yellow triangles. Gray lines are major rivers.
|Latitude||Longitude||Origin time (UTC)||Origin time (PDT)||Depth (km)||mb||Author|
|-45.7500||166.5770||07/15/09 (196) 09:22.29||07/15/09 (196) 2:22 AM||12||7.6||QED|
* The location and magnitude determined for this event are preliminary and are subject to change upon further review of seismic data.
You may also view a plot showing
Of local interest:
We operate a broadband station on Mt. Soledad. At 02:36 (PDT) station SOL recorded the Pdiff wave from this event. Here is a view of that event as picked by our analyst. A red P indicates a P wave arrival, a red S indicates an S wave arrival.
Visit the IRIS website with additional links to seismic data for this event.
- USGS page for this event
- GeoNet - New Zealand geological hazard monitoring system
- BBC News: "Quake sparks NZ-Australia alert"
- The Australian: "Australian east coast on tsunami alert after NZ earthquake"
- Brisbane Times: "Tsunami alert after NZ earthquake"
Search the Internet
To search the internet for more information about this event, click on the button below:
URL: http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/special_events/2009/196/a/index.php [Last updated: 2014-10-13 (286) 21:28:55 UTC]