Magnitude 6.9 & 7.3 quake in the New Britain region, Papua New Guinea
Last updated: 2014-10-13 (285) 21:28:52 UTC
- Location map
- Initial source parameters
- 3 components [closest Anza station]
- Vertical components [all Anza stations]
- Waveforms recorded at Mt. Soledad
The Anza group at the University of California San Diego operates a broadband seismograph network consisting of 17 three component broadband seismograph stations centered near Anza, California (see map).
On Sunday July 18 2010 at 6:04 AM (PDT) and 6:35 AM (PDT) we recorded earthquakes (preliminary Mw 6.9 and Mw 7.3 respectively) located in the New Britain region, Papua New Guinea.
If you have felt these quakes, the USGS would like to know. Please add your comments to the USGS page "Did you feel it?".
View the most recent map of local events near San Diego or a slightly wider regional view of events recorded by ANZA, or a map of events recorded by ANZA from around the globe.
Initial source parameters for these tremors are indicated below. The epicentral distance (i.e. the distance separating the Mw 7.3 epicenter and the closest station in the recording network) for Anza is 10471 km (94.08 degrees).
This map shows the mainshock as a red star. Associated preshocks are orange stars. Anza network stations are yellow triangles. Blue lines are major rivers. Thin black lines are state boundaries and thick black lines are national boundaries.
|Latitude||Longitude||Origin time (UTC)||Origin time (PDT)||Depth (km)||Mw||Author|
|-6.1160||150.5220||07/18/10 (199) 13:04.13||07/18/10 (199) 6:04 AM||57.5||6.9||QED|
|-6.0190||150.4970||07/18/10 (199) 13:35.03||07/18/10 (199) 6:35 AM||57.6||7.3||QED|
* The location and magnitude determined for this event are preliminary and are subject to change upon further review of seismic data.
You may also view a plot showing
- the 3 components recorded by the closest Anza station
- the vertical components for all Anza stations
- View waveforms from Anza stations: BZN CPE CRY FRD HWB KNW LVA2 MONP2 PFO RDM SCI2 SMER SND SOL TRO WMC
Of local interest
We operate a broadband station on Mt. Soledad. At 06:17 (PDT) and then 06:48 (PDT) station SOL recorded the P waves from these events. Here is a view of those events as picked by our analyst. A red P indicates a P wave arrival, a red S indicates an S wave arrival.
Visit the IRIS website with additional links to seismic data for this event.
- USGS page for the Mw 6.9 event
- USGS page for the Mw 7.3 event
- CNN: "2 quakes hit Papua New Guinea"
- ABC News: "Two strong quakes strike PNG"
Search the Internet
To search the internet for more information about this event, click on the button below:
Share this page
URL: http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/special_events/2010/199/a/index.php [Last updated: 2014-10-13 (286) 21:28:52 UTC]