Magnitude 6.1 quake offshore Baja California
Last updated: 2014-10-13 (285) 21:29:17 UTC
- Location map
- Initial source parameters
- 3 components [closest Anza station]
- Vertical components [all Anza stations]
- Waveforms recorded at Mt. Soledad
The Anza group at the University of California San Diego operates a broadband seismograph network consisting of 17 three component broadband seismograph stations centered near Anza, California (see map).
On Friday December 14 2012 at 2:36 AM (PST) we recorded an earthquake (preliminary mw 6.1) located offshore Baja California.
If you have felt this quake, the USGS would like to know. Please add your comments to the USGS page "Did you feel it?".
View the most recent map of local events near San Diego or a slightly wider regional view of events recorded by ANZA, or a map of events recorded by ANZA from around the globe.
Initial source parameters for this tremor are indicated below. The epicentral distance (i.e. the distance separating the epicenter and the closest station in the recording network) for Anza is 203 km (1.82 degrees).
This map shows the mainshock as a red star. Associated aftershocks are orange stars. Anza network stations are yellow triangles. Blue lines are major rivers. Thin black lines are state boundaries and thick black lines are national boundaries.
|Latitude||Longitude||Origin time (UTC)||Origin time (PST)||Depth (km)||mw||Author|
|31.3485||-119.5963||12/14/12 (349) 10:36:02||12/14/12 (349) 2:36 AM||11||6.1||SCSN:15263753|
* The location and magnitude determined for this event are preliminary and are subject to change upon further review of seismic data.
You may also view a plot showing
- the 3 components recorded by the closest Anza station
- the vertical components for all Anza stations
- View waveforms from Anza stations: BOM BZN CLT CRY CTC DGR DJJ DNR FHO FRD HWB IWR JEM JORD KNW LVA2 MLS MONP2 MSC PER PFO PLM PMD PSD RDM RHIL RSS RVR SCI2 SLB SLR SMER SND SNO SOL SVD TR01 TR02 TR03 TR04 TRO WMC WWC
Of local interest
We operate a broadband station on Mt. Soledad. At 02:37 (PST) station SOL recorded the P wave from this event. Here is a view of that event as picked by our analyst. A red P indicates a P wave arrival, a red S indicates an S wave arrival.
Visit the IRIS website with additional links to seismic data for this event.
- USGS page for this event
- Los Angeles Times: "6.3 earthquake strikes in ocean off Catalina Island"
- Associated Press: "Large earthquake strikes off Mexico coast"
Search the Internet
To search the internet for more information about this event, click on the button below:
Share this page
URL: http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/special_events/2012/349/a/index.php [Last updated: 2014-10-13 (286) 21:29:17 UTC]